Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Perfect LIfe by John Koethe

In the perfect life John Koethe writes about his life is as the title sugests, perfect. No matter what you have you feel it could be better, yet it is perfect. As you go on you start looking back to great times and regretting the moment has past. You lose yourself in the past only to see your present as a grey and boring disappointment of what it used to be.

I relate to Koethe on how he looks at his present stage in life. He writes how the current point in his life is his climax. From the moment it’s written everything in his life will become worst. Although the author has a more dramatic outlook on life, I also find myself evaluating my current stage in my life frequently. As Koethe, I am grateful of my current life, I feel it enough and it makes me happy. Yet I disagree with what he continues to write, my life doesn’t have a highpoint, throughout life I’ll continue growing and appreciate what I have. As a young person I don’t know if this might start to happen, maybe with age regrets will come. I hope that I never find myself looking back and hoping to relive previous moments of my life.

The remorse the author describes made me remember a movie I saw recently called “The Butterfly Effect” starring Aston Kutcher. Kutcher's character Evan, can reach into black spots in his memory and relive them. Through the film Evan constantly changes the past by returning to decisive moments in his life. He feels that by changing these wrong decisions he’ll make everything “perfect”. Throughout the movie he realizes that he is makes it worst. The moral of both The Perfect Life and the movie is that we have to learn to appreciate what we have. If the present is great don’t let it outshine other parts of your life, live in the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment