Thursday, February 21, 2013

It’s Future Me’s Problem

Why do we procrastinate? Is it because we like laziness or is it that we hate taking decisions? And what does the reasoning behind it tell us?  Author Rowan Pelling looks to answer this very question in her article “Why do we procrastinate so much?’ As a procrastinator myself I relate to the author’s situation and I too find myself wondering on why we procrastinate. No one likes to be rushed by a deadline and yet most of us end up being harassed by one. What is it that makes us procrastinate and what does this tell us about the nature of humanity?

Procrastination is a very juvenile course of action. I often put off homework until the last minute. Instead of working efficiently and finishing quickly, I will rather do any other menial task before starting on my homework. It’s only when I feel pressured by the deadline that I start working. As the author “I am, as you will have guessed, a fully paid member of the hardcore procrastinator’s gang.” But unlike Hamlet, literature’s most famous procrastinator, I do not have to hassle with life changing decisions. For the prince, the more he waits, the more he reconsidered, and the more he hates himself. But from a modern perspective Hamlet is reasonable, he doesn’t act impulsively, he is no child. But “I am not prince hamlet nor was I meant to be” I only have small decisions to take and by putting them off I am only making it worst for myself in the future. We are stubborn and by procrastinating we hold onto childhood wishing recess never ends.


Decisions are things for adults. But as we grow up, more and more decisions need to be taken, people grow up. Procrastination is a way to avoid taking the decisions we most dread. Humans hate responsibility but soon enough all of us must accept that we are adults and recess is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment