Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Response to The Danger of Single Story


I have to say I’ve personally experienced “the danger of a single story” more than once in my life yet I wasn’t as surprised as Chimamanda was. This past summer while I was a attending a 3 week course in New York, I often found people surprised with how well I spoke English, and how it seamed impossible that a Colombian I didn’t drink coffee, and as I mentioned before I wasn’t surprised. Chimamanda mentioned that it was extremely hard not to able able to explain how your country is without being there, she mentioned that it was almost as if our countries were the darkness. Which made me immediately connect my experiences with Heart of Darkness. I felt the same way Marlow did; I was astonished of how unaware people in New York were from what was happening here in Colombia. Yet the worst thing of these situations was feeling how little these people knew and how their impression of an entire country was formed on a single story, it’s almost as if the had taken over.


No comments:

Post a Comment